Georgina Paraskeva, and 18-year-old girl who has been coloring her hair from some time now suffered an allergic reaction to Paraphenylenediamine (PPD), a chemical commonly found in dark hair dyes. She wanted to color her hair black as she has been doing but this time when she used Clairol Nice ‘N Easy product, she was left with no sight for two days.
The result of the reaction was not instant, she had used the product before as well but this was the first time it gave here such a severe allergy. She was on a date with her boyfriend, Josh Cox, 21, when it all started. She initially felt itchy and over the next 48 hours, her face swelled up. Her mother called an ambulance and she was rushed to Southmead Hospital and was hooked on drip.
She started getting blisters on her scalp and her hairline became crispy. Later that week, the swelling got worse and it was to the extent that she couldn’t open her eyes. By the time she went to the hospital, she couldn’t see at all and the pain was unbearable. It seemed as if the glass was stuck in her eyes.
This online jewelry store owner from Bristol is currently trying to aware people about the lack of knowledge of ingredients of hair dye.
She said that after experiencing the allergy, she lost her confidence and felt horrible. She stopped going out and felt as if everyone was staring at her. After three months, she started using coffee granules and has been looking for other home remedies.
She is glad that the problem didn’t escalate and she got rid of the allergy soon. When talked to the Clairol spokesperson, he said, “The safety of the people who use our products is our first and most important priority, so we were very concerned to hear about Ms. Paraskeva’s experience with Nice’n Easy No Ammonia when we were first made aware of the incident last November. Allergic reactions are very rare and hair colorants are extensively researched to ensure they are safe when used as directed and it is imperative patch tests are conducted at least 48 hours before each coloring occasion.”
They are open to talk about the issue with Georgina and if she wished to complain, she can call their customer helpline.
After facing such a scar, she is very careful about what she uses on her face and hair and so should you. Ingredients of beauty products can really cause damage in real life.